Sunday, September 6, 2009

from C.H.S.

Each morning I enjoy a book called Morning by Morning, written by Charles H. Spurgeon, and usually find that his choice of Scripture along with his meditations stay in my mind during the day. Often, just a word will be the trigger to remind me of his thoughts. The trigger word from the devotion this morning was an especially good word for me to remember - LIGHT - from this verse :

"In the midst of a crooked and perverse nation, among whom ye shine as lights in the world." Philippians 2:15.

Spurgeon reminds us of several uses of Light:

---we use lights to make manifest (display) - our lives and conversation should be such that all about us can clearly perceive the image of Jesus reflected in all our daily actions;

---lights are intended for guidance - to help those in darkness and to interpret the Scriptures (like Philip did for the Ethiopian)and to point sinners to the Savior;

---lights are used for warning - as with a lighthouse, put up the true light on every dangerous rock and point out every sin and tell what it leads to;

---And as lights we should also have a very cheering influence, as a comforter with kind words and carry sunshine wherever we go, diffusing happiness around us.

The mediation ended with these lovely words which I assume are a part of a hymn:

Gracious Spirit dwell with me; I myself would gracious be,
And with words that help and heal Would thy life in mine reveal,
And with actions bold and meek Would for Christ my Savior speak.

Which, in turn, reminds me of another special verse about light - John 8:12 where Jesus tells us that "I am the LIGHT of the world".

Lord, let me shine for You.

No comments: